Derek H. Swanson is a Partner at Dunlap Bennett & Ludwig and a veteran trial lawyer with nearly 15 years of experience. Before joining the team, Derek worked at the office of an AmLaw 50 firm in Richmond, Virginia. Derek has handled hundreds of high-exposure cases in state and federal courts throughout the country. He is a true litigation generalist but also has a specialist’s expertise in the areas of automotive product liability litigation, patent litigation, class action litigation, commercial litigation, trade secret litigation, trademark litigation, and copyright litigation. Derek is also a former prosecutor and has tried hundreds of cases.
Derek’s dedication, judgment, and strategic thinking have won him the long-term trust of dozens of the biggest companies in the world, including automakers, product manufacturers, telecommunications companies, social media companies, retailers, high-tech start-ups, and energy companies.
- The University of Iowa College of Law, JD, with Distinction, 2006
- The University of Iowa, B.A., with Honors, 2002
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Author, Staying Cases Pending PTAB’s Decision to Institute IPR or CBM Review (Article), July 2015
- Author, United States Automotive Products Liability Law (Book), October 2009
- Co-chair, Legal Food Frenzy, Virginia Bar Association, 2006-2018
- Co-Chair, Virginia Veterans Domestic Relations Initiative, Virginia Bar Association, 2009-2012
- Statewide Membership Coordinator, Young Lawyers Division, Virginia Bar Association, 2006-2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Federation of Virginia Food Banks, 2009-2013
- Member, Board of Directors, Feed More, Inc., 2013-2019
- Recipient, Emerson G. Spies Award, Outstanding Service to Young Lawyers Division, Virginia Bar Association, 2007
- Recipient, McGuireWoods LLP Excellence Award, 2008