Alex has been representing a diverse group of foreign and domestic businesses in a variety of industries and commercial sectors since 1995 while working in several intellectual property boutique law firms and consulting with the in-house trademark group of a multi-national hospitality industry company. Alex counsels businesses at all stages of development, assessing and searching the availability of marks; establishing, enforcing and maintaining trademark and service mark rights; resolving intellectual property disputes; handling internet domain name IP issues, anti-counterfeiting matters, copyright prosecution, IP licensing and transactional matters, and intellectual property research and due diligence investigations. Alex’s practice covers all facets of trademark prosecution and practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and virtually every trademark office around the world with the help of an extensive network of foreign associates.
As an Attorney Advisor in Law Office 106 of the USPTO trademark examining operations for three years, Alex examined thousands of trademark applications in the fields of cosmetics, toiletries and cleaning preparations, publications and office supplies, toys and sporting goods, and service mark applications for all types of services and defended registration refusals before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Professionally, Alex has been an active member of the International Trademark Association, participating in four of its committees for the past six consecutive committee terms (twelve years) as well as on the trademark committee of the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
Additionally, Alex enjoys spending time with his wife and kids, is an avid baseball fan and takes pleasure in watching football, traveling, skiing and playing golf, tennis and other recreational sports.
- Intellectual Property
- Unfair Competition
- Juris Doctor, St. John’s University School of Law
- B.A., Psychology, Lehigh University
- Washington, D.C.
- New York
- New Jersey
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- International Trademark Association (INTA) –
- Emerging Issues Committee (2018-2019 committee term)
- Enforcement Committee (2014-2015 and 2016-2017 committee terms); Task Force Leader in 2016-17 term
- Law Firm Membership Committee (2010-2011 and 2012-2013 committee terms)
- Information Resources Committee (2006-2007 and 2008-2009 committee terms)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) –
- Trademark-Relations with the USPTO Committee (2015- )
- Trademark Committee (2012- )
- Loudoun County Bar Association (2017- )
- Webinar Panel: Best Practices in Protecting Your Brand and The Fundamentals of Trademark Law: A 2017 Perspective (The Knowledge Group, June 21, 2017);
- Webinar Panel: Tips for Effectively Searching the USPTO Database Using TESS – Part 2: Design Searching (State Bar of California Intellectual Property Law Section, Dec. 10, 2013);
- Collaborative Article: “‘Trademark Bullying’ – Time To Get Some Clear Definitions” World Trademark Review, WTR_Issue 44 LR (August/September 2013);
- “Has Bose Blown Away the Trademark Fraud Cancellation Crusade at the USPTO?” Intellectual Property Today, June 2010;
- “Baseball’s Anti-trust Exemption and an Owner-Imposed Salary Cap: Can They Coexist?” 12 Entertainment and Sports Lawyer 3, Fall 1994 (American Bar Association).