Tom’s practice focuses on patent, trademark, trade secret, commercial, entertainment law, business, government contracts disputes, litigation, and transactions. Tom has authored numerous books and appeared on national television and radio, including Fox, Sundance T.V., and NPR, speaking on various subjects in his fields of practice. In addition to the state and federal courts of D.C., VA, and M.D., he is a member of the Federal Courts in Puerto Rico, Colorado, and Texas, as well as the Court of Federal Claims, the Federal Circuit, where he has recently argued and won three appellate matters, the Veteran’s Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court, where he was lead counsel on a False Claims Act case (See United States ex rel. Carter v. Halliburton Co.) and in the T.C. Heartland LLC v. Kraft Foods Group Brands LLC (U.S. May 22, 2017) (No. 16-341) case involving jurisdiction in patent infringement cases. Other recent litigation victories where Tom served as lead trial counsel include a $12,317,500 verdict in Zuru v Telebrands et al. (EDTX 2017) (patent infringement) and a $2,600,000 verdict in DPX Gear v Prince et al. (Loudoun Circuit Court 2017) (breach of contract & fraud).
- J.D. Law, Washington & Lee University School of Law
- Summer Program, Tulane University School of Law with Antonin Scalia, Crete, Greece
- B.A. English/ Theater, Lafayette College
- Summer Program, Boston University, Semester at Sea, Woods Hole, MA
- M.S. Biotechnology, University of Maryland
- M.B.A. University of Maryland
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Veteran’s Appeals
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Texas (Eastern District)
- U.S. District Court District of Texas (Western District)
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia
- Led trial team (lead counsel) in multi-week jury trial obtaining $12 million verdicts for willful patent
infringement in Federal Court.
- Led trial team (lead counsel) in week-long unjust enrichment, fraud, conversion, and breach of contract case,
where, despite the client starting as a defendant in the case, we obtained a $2.6 million verdict in favor of
- Successfully briefed and argued three cases in 2017 and 2018 before the United States Federal Circuit in oral
- Served as lead counsel for the amicus brief to United States Supreme Court in the TC Heartland decision.
- Obtained multi-million dollar value preliminary injunctions in three patent infringement cases.
- Successful multi-million dollar landmark multi-jurisdictional copyright infringement litigation for films such
as The Hurt Locker, The Expendables 2, and The Gray Man. (D FL, EDVA, SDNY, WD VA, DDC)
- Successful patent infringement defense of robotic fish, invalidating patent of opposing party on summary
- Led successful patent infringement case (settlement) on behalf of technology manufacturer for hostage
rescue phone technology.
- Negotiated sale of EMR system from the University of North Carolina to a private buyer, including registration
of copyrights and protection for related intellectual property.
- Negotiated multiple sales of scripts, life rights, and film distribution agreements for independent film